Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

fly fishing

3 posters

Go down

fly fishing Empty fly fishing

Post  storyjames Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:04 am

I get back from Afghanistan next week. I was going to try to learn fly fishing. Is there any instructors or fly fisherman I can link up with so my son amd I can get hands on with an experianced fly fisherman?

storyjames
New Angler

Back to top Go down

fly fishing Empty Re: fly fishing

Post  Deepblu505 Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:45 am

James welcome aboard glad to have you on the web site, looking forward to meeting you when you get back. Below is a letter I received from Al who heads up the events.

The NCWRC Pechmann Fishing Education Center continues to host Wounded Warriors, NC Handicapped Sportsmen and any military or military retirees and their families on the 2nd Wednesday of each month from 1-5pm - (That's September 14th this month). We offer fly tying and basic fly fishing instruction. At least half of the afternoon will be spent fishing.

We have a variety of warm water fish to include some very nice bass and bream in the ponds. All fishing is on a catch and release basis. We will also offer basic fly tying instruction for those who would like to try their hand at that aspect of the sport. The Pechmann Center provides all equipment for these events, however participants are encouraged to bring and use their own gear. If you're not into fly fishing we have spin cast outfits and bait for use on the catfish ponds. If you really want to catch a bunch of catfish you should bring a few hotdogs to cut up for bait - works very well A NC fishing license is not required for these events.

Because these events require scheduling of facilities and personnel, it is imperative that we have a good showing. In order to keep attendance to the level necessary to continue, we have expanded it to any military or retirees who show up between the hours of 1-5pm. Family members are welcome - it makes for some good family time. Expect many of the kids are back in school but we stay open until 5:00 pm so grab the kids as soon as they get home and do something different for a change - take them fishing!

The NCWRC John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center is located at 7489 Raeford Rd, Fayetteville, NC 28304. It was an old fish hatchery which has since been converted to an education center. It is right across from Lake Rim on what is now known as old Raeford Rd on the west side of Fayetteville. Here is a Google map link : John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center

The NC Wildlife Expo is also coming up on Saturday Sep 25th, it will have fly fishing instruction along with many other exsibits of interest. Here is a link that has all the info on this event:NC Wildlife Expo

We also offer Fly Fishing Clinic sponsored By the NCWRC starting in January , Trout are brought in from the Mountains for these cold water fly fishing clinics. Watch the form for the dates of these event.

So Welcome again and stay safe
Eddie
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  storyjames Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:00 am

Eddie, Thanks for the info, Looking forward to meeting you as well

storyjames
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:37 am

James there are several of us in the FAAN that fly fish and it is always great to share our pasion with new members.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:35 am

James, are you back in the states yet?
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber