Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Eels in local ponds?

4 posters

Go down

Eels in local ponds? Empty Eels in local ponds?

Post  joe.plotino Tue May 10, 2011 10:12 pm

Anyone know of any local ponds that contain American Eels? I was told by a girl at work that people regularly catch them out of a pond in her complex.....I have no made it out there yet to try and catch some but I was intrigued that they may inhabit some local water here. Reason is that I will be doing an extensive amount of Striped Bass fishing in the Chesapeake this summer / fall and a local supply of them would be fantastic. I think they sell for $1 - $2 a piece in the local tackle shop in VA. They are incredibly resilient fish and I can put them in a cooler with news paper and transport them to VA to fish with.

Eels in local ponds? Cover
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Eels in local ponds? Empty Re: Eels in local ponds?

Post  Backlash Wed May 11, 2011 9:48 am

I haven't heard of the eels in ponds before, but then again there is not very much known about them at all. They were thought to be a salt fish until just a few years ago, when it was discovered that they actually mature in freshwater then return to the seas in order to spawn. New discoveries have unleashed a revival of interest in the species by scientist and writers. North Carolina is currently doing a passage study of the American Eel on the upper Roanoke River and ask anglers that catch eels is this area keep them and contact one of the biologists working on the study. Elsewhere, there seems to something that is causing a decline in eel population and the question why hasn't been answered. Anyway, here's a link to some US Fish and Wildlife information that might be helpful. http://www.fws.gov/northeast/newsroom/facts.html
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Wed May 11, 2011 10:21 am

That is some really interesting stuff. Had no idea the complexity of the eel and how so much is not known about its natural life span. Especially considering its immense application as a salt water bait. I am going to have to definitely check out this local pond and see if there really are American eels in there and how big the population is.

Ha watch it is a population of snakehead. I would exterminate them all. That is a scary species. They have been found in the Chesapeake tributaries which is not comforting.

Will let you all know I may try and go today.....
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Wed May 11, 2011 1:11 pm

I'd heard once before that eels were primarily in the rivers. If you're finding them in the pond, it could be that someone bought them for bait and ended up throwing them in the pond. That's a total guess though.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Wed May 25, 2011 7:08 pm

Have caught eels in the South River near Autryville. They are a nasty looking fish. Shocked Good luck in your pursuit of them. Oh yeah. They were caught while using night crawlers for catfish.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down