Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Fishing outings

5 posters

Go down

Fishing outings Empty Fishing outings

Post  Coach Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I was wanting to send everyone a note informing them of the two fishing outings I've been working on.  They are set for the months of October and November.

The October outing will be a pier fishing trip.  This has been scheduled for October the 18th.  Seaview fishing pier has already been notified that the group is planning an outing for their pier.  They have asked that as many people to carpool together as possible as they are limited in parking.  After talking to a good many people and finding that this date was good for them, I found out that my brother in law had changed his wedding date to this day.  So, I will not be attending this one but I hope that as many people as possible show up, and enjoy themselves.  If you would like to go participate, just send me a note and I'll get you in contact with the others who are going so that we can have a great time and do what a fishing club is supposed to do.  Fish!

The second outing is Scheduled for November 8th.  This is rounding up to be a small boat get together at Lake Upchurch.  This is the Saturday before Veterans Day.  For you big boat guys, we will be doing some things in the spring that will hopefully involve you guys.  This is something that the small boat guys have been talking about for quite a while.I will definitely be involved with this date and cannot wait to go fishing with some of the small boat armada that we have in this group.  If you are interested in this outing, again, just send me a message and we will coordinate it so that we can all get there at about the same time and have a good time in fellowship and fishing.  

Any ideas that you may have for future get together, or fishing outings, please send them on over to me.  Thanks again for your interest in our group.

Bobby
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Fishing outings Empty Re: Fishing outings

Post  Deepblu505 Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Looking forward to the small boat outing. We won't make the pier trip, will be camping at FT Fisher that weekend, hope Yall have fun. Very Happy
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:40 pm

I'll be at the event for Upchurch.  Unsure about the pier event since I don't have any gear for that type of fishing.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Snagged wrote:I'll be at the event for Upchurch.  Unsure about the pier event since I don't have any gear for that type of fishing.
Chris you can use pretty much the same gear as you would for catfish, med spinning rods and 20 lbs test is all I ever used. 

I have a pier net (aka Lobster hoop net) If anyone wants to borrow it for this trip.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:06 am

I am reposting this from the "Upchurch today " thread because it deals with the Nov. outing:

"You are right Chris that does sound wrong. They do lower the lake to do regular maintenance on the dam and let the property owners work on their docks and ramps. That is a more likely reason to lower it.  Got to consider the source there also, the kid that takes my money when I go is not the sharpest crayon in the box. Fishing outings Icon_eek I don't doubt that they are going to lower the lake, he is more than likely just confused about the reason. 

If we need a new place in Nov. There is always the other Upchurch lake on the Game lands, over by Bobby Parkers. It had a lot of fish, all be it small ones last year. But it had only been refilled and restocked  3 years at that time. So it could be pretty good now. It is small, shallow and open (so wind is a slight problem ) but is free and relatively close. Closer than Mott Lake, though not by much. It is just around the corner from Mott Lake, and you don't need an FT. Bragg permit for those that that would be an issue. Stephen Fields fishes there quite a bit, I have not heard from him in a while but we might get his opinion. 

There is always the river, if it is down around normal, it is not a hard paddle. Sahronand I have paddled upstream for a couple of miles at a very leisurely paddle, not strenuous at all.We could put in down from Arnette park off Old Willmington Hwy. It has a bad rep for unsavories after dark, but Hemi and I have never had any trouble during daylight hours. It would be fun to feel a big cat tugging on the other end of the line. Also, if you don't anchor up you could get a free Cape Fear sleigh ride. Fishing outings Icon_biggrin  There are LM Bass, crappie, carp and some really big gar in there also.It is  a Wild Life Ramp so it is free to launch.

Just my thoughts Fishing outings Icon_pirat ."
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:11 pm

The other Upchurch is fine with me.  I'll have my jon boat, and I don't really trust it on the Cape Fear with only a trolling motor.  But we can have two different groups if we'd like.  As long as we are going out and having a good time fishing is what I am hoping for.  I haven't paddled the kayak in 3 years.  lol.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Coach wrote: I'll have my jon boat, and I don't really trust it on the Cape Fear with only a trolling motor.  
Coach the river is not very fast fact it gets down right slow . All you have to remember is to fish up stream , then the way back is all down stream. It just depends how much water they are letting out of Jordan and how much rain we have had. Lately it has not been up at all when I have driven by and running slow. But Upchurch is fine with me too. I will just hit the river on my own or when Hemi gets back.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:48 pm

I've always wanted to fish both.  But I don't know much about either.

I've paddled the Cape Fear on a canoe trip with some work folks a few years back, but didn't fish it.

If the pond in the Nicholson Game Lands is small, it would depend on how many folks we have going
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:03 pm

Snagged wrote:
I've paddled the Cape Fear on a canoe trip with some work folks a few years back, but didn't fish it.

River down here past Fayetteville is a lot slower than the streach above Lillington down to Erwin were you have all the rapids.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:02 pm

We put in at Lillington and took out at Erwin I think.  Just short of a 10 mile stretch I think.  There were a few rapids, but most of it was pretty slow moving.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sundrop Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:12 pm

my new job has me locked up weekends for the forseeable future, Hated to do it but needed the job.
Sundrop
Sundrop
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:12 pm

Did anyone find out about Upchurch for the get together?  Or did we want to try one of the other two places?
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:29 am

I will run by there today and try to find out. If they drained it I doubt it will be a go. what time are we looking at being where ever we end up? 
Also, who all is planning on being there, I know Hemi is back in town not sure for how long. I will post tonight what I find.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:44 am

I would say between 8 and 9. Hope my transmission come in for my truck. If so, I'll put it in with a buddies help Friday night, if not I'll be doing it on Saturday.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:22 pm

My schedule is clear for this weekend.  I'll be there.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:27 pm

Fishing outings _mg_0010

Fishing outings _mg_0011

As you can see Upchurch is definitely drained, and the old guy ran me off when I tried to take some pictures at the ramp. 
Anyway have to try somewhere else, Mott or game lands? Anybody got a preference?
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:02 pm

Dang.  I wonder why they drained it.  Who maintains the lake anyway?  I know the residents had to pay for the dam but who is actually responsible for the lake?
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:56 pm

They drained it to work on the dam, and the Homeowners Association is responsible for the lake.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Fishing outings Empty Small boat outing

Post  tadpole1 Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:54 am

Does anyone know if its happening or not? It doesn't sound very promising to me.

tadpole1
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:03 am

I am not going to make it, have truck trouble, and need to get some stuff done around the house.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down