Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Smith River 4-14-12

3 posters

Go down

Smith River 4-14-12 Empty Smith River 4-14-12

Post  al k Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:09 pm

As most of the Smith River Regulars know, the water flow has been messed up for the past moth. The folks at Philpott Dam are changing out a transformer which according to their press release is a 70+ day process. This means no generation, but the water has to go somewhere so they are releasing it as it builds up. Without significant rain that means 120 cfs and that is fine for the fish and fishing. However the area has experienced a couple of downpours which increased flow to 900 cfs for about a week. This has been recently dialed back to 383 cfs which raises the water about 6 inches, It is wadeable but it will tire you out in a hurry.

Smith River 4-14-12 IMGP7082
I tried it on Friday afternoon at a spot I know to hold lots of fish. On a good day I have caught 10-15 fish there without hardly moving my feet. It was obvious I had either lost my touch or the changed flow conditions would necessitate relearning the river all over again. Two "stockers" were all I was able to coach to my fly. Thought swinging a streamer in the current might work but it was totally rejected. The two I did catch fell to my namesake nymph the Allieworm. If I go again under these same conditions I will add more weight - I think what is happening now is my fly is moving too fast and not getting down deep enough.

Saturday afternoon a friend and I tried the lower river. The water was still a little high and moving faster then normal but the area we fished was very wide which spread the water out. Still not ideal but "Hey. ya got to go with the flow"

My friend whom shall remain nameless is noted for taking a long time to pull his waders on and rigging up. The water looked inviting so I worked my way to what looked like a good run. I am a firm believer in casting to all likely water and not plunging hell-bent to the spot you just know holds a fish. About half way to just such a spot I thought I'd snagged bottom but a second pull of the rod sent vibrations back to the rod tip. It did not take long to tell that I was into a good fish. Being waist deep in water with no one to call on for assistance made me glad I have recently gone back to carrying a net.

Smith River 4-14-12 IMGP7085
After a brief tussle and a lot of "don't let this one get away Albert" I was able to slide the net under the largest Smith River brown I have caught in several years. I was fishing a modified trot line which consists of a bushy stimulator which acts as an indicator, an Allieworm hung about 3 feet below that and a Zebra Midge about two feet below the AW. This set up tangles into a mess unless you're careful - but it works. I also don't recommend a multi-fly set up if you're using a braided net - those extra flies love to embed themselves in a braided net. Look closely and you will see which fly got his attention.

Smith River 4-14-12 IMGP7091
I caught three more while my friend slowly made his way to this nice run which was big enough for two to fish without interfering with each other. None where as big as the first but all were nice.

Smith River 4-14-12 IMGP7094
"Let's see, what do I have that looks something like an Allieworm? No way I am going to pay streamside prices for that ridiculously easy to tie hook, feathers and yarn"

Smith River 4-14-12 IMGP7100
"Hmmmmm, maybe $$ each was a bargain after all"

Smith River 4-14-12 IMGP7104
Here is why the fish in the lower river are bigger. Trout, especially brown trout, don't grow much beyond 7- 9 inches on midges and an occasional trout fry.

al k
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Smith River 4-14-12 Empty Re: Smith River 4-14-12

Post  Yak_Angler Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:22 pm

Looks beautiful up there! It is good to see other people are enjoying the Smith than the locals. That is my hometown and miss getting up there for some good ole trout fishing!
Yak_Angler
Yak_Angler
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Smith River 4-14-12 Empty Re: Smith River 4-14-12

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Thanks for the post al!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down