Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Smith River 2-3 May

Go down

Smith River 2-3 May Empty Smith River 2-3 May

Post  al k Mon May 05, 2014 10:16 pm

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0457_zpscc6e498a
It is not every day you get a chance to link up with old army buddies to play the "do you remember" game and at the same time share with them the passion many of us have for fly fishing. We did just that this past weekend when the executive officer (XO) from my company commander days in the 82nd Airborne and one of the lieutenants from a sister company and their wives were guests at my "get away" place in Bassett, VA.  None of them had ever fly fished but having read some of my fishing reports knew if old Captain K could do it, it must be pretty easy.

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0455_zps8ab2ef45
First things first. How about a little casting instruction on the lawn? "Hmmmmmm, why does my line keep collapsing in a big mess right in front of my rod tip?"

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0453_zpsaa2abf80
The sister company officer from "back in the day" suffered a stoke about 15 years ago and wisely decided fly fishing might not be on his bucket  list. 

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0501_zps4e761e5b
His wife however, took to it like a duck takes to water.

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0475_zps172ddcbf
Wade, cast, place the line under your finger, point the rod tip towards the indicator, keep slack line to a minimum - WOW, Captain K. is still a hard taskmaster.

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0471_zps9b567042
It is funny how a fish brought to hand changes a frustrated frown to a big smile.

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0511_zps51aa1dfe
"Hold on there - I'm putting one on the scoreboard for the ladies"

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0518_zps25ade714
"You're going home with me buddy. Al says we can keep rainbows"

Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0467_zpsf643767a
Smith River 2-3 May IMGP0497_zps330525ae
There are a lot of nice stream spawned browns and plump stocked rainbows available right now.  It is not easy pickings but if you can cast about two rod lengths beyond your rod tip you can catch them.  Just remember to control your slack line and watch the indicator!

It was great reconnecting with old friends. Just sitting there BS-ing made me recall things I have not remembered in years.  I am honored they saw me in such a positive light. Another plus was we did a little touring around my adopted hometown of Martinsville / Henry County. We also ran into several folks who knew me and dropped a few dollars on the local economy. Life is good.

al k
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down