Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Hidden Lake

2 posters

Go down

Hidden Lake  Empty Hidden Lake

Post  Goldbacher83 Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:25 pm

I've been fishing this lake/pond for the past couple months and started right before the fish began their spawn. The lake is located off of Bingham dr. opposite of aaron lake. Its in a gated apartment complex but my buddy lives there so I use his gate code anytime I want.
The lake is a rather nice size but has an abundance of lily pads. Before the lily's starting growing super thick you could take you polarized glasses and see lunkers everywhere, but it was super close to spawn and they looked at anything I threw at them and laughed. So the first couple trips were very very slow. It's a stocked pond with bass, bream, crappie, and kitties.
Fastforward to today. The area you can fish the lake is shaped like a L the other area is private fenced property. But there is still A Lot of area to shore fish. The only problem is the Lily's., they are from 3-15ft from the shore to the end of the lilys, which is great, until you have to pull them through. I've broken a couple large bass off because the minute the get close to the lily's they swim circles through them.......Now before you ask, The first time I broke a Biggun was on #6 lb......so I went and switched out to #17 lb......caught a bigger one, same results, even after I went in the water to dig him out of the pads.
Needless to say my frustration level is peaking at this pond. I mainly uses plastics, 6'' lizards junebug/black w red flake/pumpkinseed. Alond with frogs, and wacky setups. If anyone has any pointers please feel free to tell me!
This is my first real post here so i apologize for the "all over the place" post.
If anyone is interested in joining me sometime, or want to check out the lake from themselves let me know! Talk to yall soon. -Darren

Goldbacher83
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Hidden Lake  Empty Re: Hidden Lake

Post  joe.plotino Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:49 pm

Doooood,

Funny I started reading your post and got a little panic attack because I fish a VERY similar pond VERY close to where you are fishing that seems about identical. Why I panic is that it is a small pond that I believe if it experienced much more pressure then the fishing would degrade severely. Anyway not the same pond but I have some tips....

My most effective setup is using 55lb braid on Pro Qualifier Baitcast. The braid is able to cut through a decent amount of lily stems and visibility is not an issue in the dark water. I used to fishing the braid with a 10lb flouro leader but like you I experienced some heartbreaking losses. I have a spinning rod also on standby with 10lb flouro if fish are out in the open or I want to throw lighter plastics.

When you fish those lily pads stay a good distance from the pads and cast just past the pads with a weedless setup. I primarily use a texas rigged senkos in black and green pumpkin. I then pull the plastic off the pads so it drops off the edge of the pads. This is the CRITICAL time. The fish undoubtedly live 99% of the time under the pads and will be lurking for something to drop in. About 9-10 strikes are either upon plastic dropping in or on the way down. I will let the plastic sit for approx 10 seconds then it gets reeled back in and casted again maybe 2-4ft the direction I am moving. So far this is the best method I have found for fishing the same kind of pond. Occasionally I will cast deeper onto the pads and have induced a real neat top strike through the pads.

I have taken 3 members of FAAN fishing with me to this pond and most days have done quite well. Fish from a kayak also. When fishing from the land my best luck has come from both plastics as well as a small broke back minnow that I can work slowly to not get hung up and maneuver around the lilys. Check out my other threads of when I have requested fishing partners and I have plenty of pictures of great success!

I would be more then willing if you have kayak or not to accompany me to the pond I like to fish at close to there. I enter the water through a friends property as it is surrounded by private residences.

Good luck and if you have any more questions about tactics let me know!
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:57 pm

Also about them fish getting into the pads I still lose them with the braid. The line will not break off but once the hook is secured in the pads the fish find the leverage they need to shake the hook and leave me fishless. So dont get too frustrated because even with unbreakable line they come off. I would say out of 12 fish hooked I successfully boat 9. Some fish really manhandle me and get into the pads before I can wrench them out and get free.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbacher83 Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Thanks for your feedback Joe! Thats pretty crazy to think that we have been fishing right around he corner from eachother. I'm pretty sure I know what lake/pond you are talking about I just cant remember the neighborhood name, but its on the same side of the road. Theres probably only a handful of people that fish this pond, so its always pretty quiet. ANYWAYS....The pond I fish is a little smaller then yours and judging from your pics is thicker when it comes to the lilys. I dont have any kind of boat craft so all my fishing comes from the shore. Theres no ramp to this pond. But it would be super easy to put a small yak or jboat in. And Im sure if I could get a boat out, this pond would be prime bass grounds. about 2 months ago a 9.09lb lgmth was pulled out, and the one that broke my 17lb test was well over 5lb. so Itd be nice to throow at the pads and bring the fish out. instead of fishing from the bank and having to fish THROUGH the pads. I'll have to take some pics the next time i get out there to show you. I dont have another day off till sunday so that might be the next time i head out there........I was also contemplating heading out to upchurch and renting one of their jboats.....I think its $25 all day and that includes the trolling motor.....just a thought.

Goldbacher83
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:54 pm

Seems that I also have a connection to this pond. Went today with a buddy and hooked up a really nice fish. Some smaller ones but this one was the nicest. Then the storms of the century hit and I had to bail out. Had quarter size hail and some wicked lightening.

This is the nice one...

Hidden Lake  Fish21june

Hidden Lake  21junefish

There are fish all over that place. Gets fished a bit and there are some trashy houses around but still a nice local bass spot. Will be a second choice for me in the kayak.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbacher83 Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:43 pm

Is this from hidden? That kinda looks like the lily patches there..........i couldn't make out from your post if you meant you went to hidden or if you where talking about your pond.....

Goldbacher83
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:51 pm

That was from hidden. Caught him underneath the tree on the opposite bank that overhangs. It is to the right of the dock with the submerged tree.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:24 pm

This place rocks! I went tonight at about 6pm - 8:30pm and did fantastic. Caught 8 fish ranging from 2 - 5lbs. First cast hooked up to a 3.4lber and it was on after that. Such a small pond but full of some lively hungry bass.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Goldbacher83 Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:23 pm

Hate to be a dummy, BUT I told you so! This new job and the heat had been killing me so I haven't been out in a couple weeks. And I leave sunday for cherry grove for a week so itll be longer before I get back out. Glad youve been slaying em.......go to the drain, if you are looking at it, fish the left corner of the lake.where the fence ends. Theres where big fattys hide during high sun. There's a big bush close to the corner im talking about.....the other end of the lake is the shallowest part and you can catch soon good kitties fishing the bottom away from the lilly forests......good luck! And save some for me! If I get out before I leave I'll let you know......i plan on doing a early day of pier fishing at cherry grove, so if you wanna drive down and meet for some pier fishing let me know what day is best and we'll plan something cause I hear they are catching nice spanish down there........cyall around!

Goldbacher83
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down