Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

8ft flippin stick in a yak

2 posters

Go down

8ft flippin stick in a yak Empty 8ft flippin stick in a yak

Post  Luni Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:48 pm

On the short list of new gear is a Heavy/Extra Fast flippin and pitching rod.  These generally seem to come in 8ft lengths.  I really like the 13 Black Omen rods and was looking to pick up another.  Their H/X-fast comes in at 7' 11".  My only concern is using a rod that long becomes unwieldy in a kayak.  Up to this point I've been using 6'-6'6" rods with a 7' 3" I just got for frogging and weighted plastics.  It seems like adding 1-2ft of rod will be like fishing with a telephone pole.  I'd be mostly using it standing up and it'd be a great tool for hauling fish out of the slop over the summer.

What's been your experiences with a 8ft rods in a kayak?  Manageable or excessive?
Luni
Luni
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

8ft flippin stick in a yak Empty Re: 8ft flippin stick in a yak

Post  Snagged Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:03 pm

I picked up a couple of 7.5' rods at the end of the season last season; an upgrade over the 6.5" ones that I did have.  I haven't had a chance to use them yet, but I've always read/heard that the longer rods are better for those of us in yaks that sit lower to waterline.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Luni Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Went ahead and did it.  I've heard good things about the basspro carbonlite rods and I checked them out while I was there.  The rod felt light and well balanced and they just happened to have a 7' 6" H/X-fast combo with 7.1:1 pro qualifier reel on the shelf.  Spooled it up last night and took a few practice casts and pitches in the yard today with a 1/2oz jig and I'm really looking forward to bringing it on the water.  A telephone pole with fish winch was really missing from my arsenal, especially for the heavy slop I like to fish in summer.  I've never had confidence with jigs or any heavy bottom contact baits.  I'm going to fish this rod with a jig or flipping craw and my crappie rod exclusively until the water temp comes back up.  Everything tells me tossing a jig at cold stubborn winter bass is the way to go, time to force myself to do it.  Lowrance should help find those deep bottom fish also.
Luni
Luni
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down