Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Neuse River Reds

+3
Backlash
joe.plotino
bparker
7 posters

Go down

Neuse River Reds Empty Neuse River Reds

Post  bparker Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Scott Hobbs, my old fishing and army buddy, and I set out on our fourth annual bull red drum trip to the Neuse River on Monday. We got a late start dodging rain showers and with a hand ful of finger mullet and pin fish, we abandoned the search for bait and set out for our "near" point three and a half miles across the river.

Neuse River Reds BuTi010-1

We fished in the rain well into dark, and Scott hooked up with a nice 42 inch bull red to start the trip. Out of bait, we called it around 10 pm. Tuesday morning brought more rain showers but lots of bait, and we hit Garbacon Shoal early. It was not long before we boated a beautifully spotted 49 inch bull red, followed by a 46 incher.

Neuse River Reds BuTi018

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2008

The reds turned off, so we crossed the river to drift the artificial reef for flounder and trout. We were suprised with a 32 inch red on 10 lb. test and a fun fight!

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2009

For the next four hours we plenty of short grey and speckled trout, and some blues, but nothing for the fillet knives, so we headed for our creek. Nothing there but some short flounder and rat reds, and we broke for chow.

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2010

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2011

The rain kept us in Tuesday night, and on Wednesday we hit Garbacon Shoal early with Steve P as a guest. We extended to Steve the courtesy of the first fish, but there are lots of critters with menhaden on their menu.

Neuse River Reds BuTi029

But the next one was a nice 46 inch red, followed by Scott with a 46 incher!

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2013

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2017

Neuse River Reds Neusereds20212

When we release these magnificant creatures, we always take the time to be sure they are revived before releasing them.

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2015-1

The reds turned off again, so we hit the reef and limited out on grey trout. The next morning we hit a nearby creek for a couple of hours before trailering the boat and clearing the rental. We hit a 14 inch speck on a plastic, and Scott began to hammer them on a top water. We used badonk-a-donks, she dogs, MR27's, and soft plastics to limit out by 930 am.

Neuse River Reds NeuseReds2012008

Neuse River Reds NeuseReds2012002

Neuse River Reds NeuseReds2012015

All of our annual trips for the bull reds has beed great, each with its own special memories. In four years we have boated over thirty bull reds. Still, each time I hear the reel buzzing and see the line running, I can feel the hair on the back of my neck stand up and my heart pound as I rush for the rod! What a fish!

bparker
Deckhand

Back to top Go down

Neuse River Reds Empty Re: Neuse River Reds

Post  joe.plotino Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:44 pm

Very nice. Great to see you document your trip and share all the tantalizing pictures.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:50 pm

Thanks for the great report, Bobby! Glad that you guys had a great time.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:58 pm

Great trip report, and great pictures. Looks like a helluva time.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:25 pm

thanks for the great report bobby! One of these days i really want to head out there with you and scott to hunt some of those big Reds! Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down

Neuse River Reds Empty Neuse River Reds

Post  bparker Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:48 am

I am a rookie at writing these reports up, but Scott encourages me to write them for the FAAN, as he skillfully writes for other sites. Pictures add volumes of words, and are the proof of what fishermen want to see anyhow. My apologies to Scott for overlooking a photo of one of the fine fish he boated on this trip, a nice 42 inch red.

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2005

There is just not enough space here to capture all the significant events one experiences on a fishing trip; the distant rainshowers on the vast open water, the ospreys, the eagles, and the persistent blue heron that followed Scott's topwater all the way to the boat three times! Anyone who fishes knows a camera isn't handy when you need it!

bparker
Deckhand

Back to top Go down

Post  tadpole1 Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:01 am

bparker wrote:I am a rookie at writing these reports up, but Scott encourages me to write them for the FAAN, as he skillfully writes for other sites. Pictures add volumes of words, and are the proof of what fishermen want to see anyhow. My apologies to Scott for overlooking a photo of one of the fine fish he boated on this trip, a nice 42 inch red.

Neuse River Reds Neusereds2005

There is just not enough space here to capture all the significant events one experiences on a fishing trip; the distant rainshowers on the vast open water, the ospreys, the eagles, and the persistent blue heron that followed Scott's topwater all the way to the boat three times! Anyone who fishes knows a camera isn't handy when you need it!

Wow Bobby, What a trip you had. Those pictures pretty much tell the story.

tadpole1
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  shobbs Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Always a great trip with a great fishing buddy...Smile

I had about forgotten about the heron chasing my lure. I casted towards a dock with a topwater plug, when I started working it back I saw this juvenile heron chasing my bait. All I could do was wind up like there was no tomorrow, but he still almost caught it. I tried several more times and the same thing, he would chase the bait, sure must have been hungry. I finally just casted another direction and he left us alone. Heck he would fly almost to the boat.
shobbs
shobbs
Deckhand

http://www.fishheroes.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down