Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing

5 posters

Go down

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing Empty Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing

Post  allenmumper Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:30 am

Because I would like a kayak for fishing and recreation are there strong prohibitions against an open cockpit sit in? For Example, a Pamlico 100. No ocean or sound fishing. Freshwater lakes, ponds, deep or current rivers. New to kayak fishing so advice is welcome. Know that the serious anglers all use SOTs...but aren't 10' SOTs slower if I kayak with friends with 10' sit ins?

allenmumper
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing Empty Re: Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing

Post  Backlash Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:10 am

My first objection to sit-in is that I would prefer to simply fall off a SOT, rather than roll a sit in. Although, I know that the likelihood that I would become trapped is slim, I feel more secure on a SOT. The other objection is storage and organization, I like the fact that on a SOT your gear is directly behind you and relativity within easy reach. Sit-ins may be faster, but in a 10' boat I believe that your speed is more a result of the length of your boat. The shorter boat being more manuerable, particullarly on narrow creeks and rivers.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing Empty Backlash

Post  allenmumper Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks for your comments and the pros on the SOT. ~Allen

allenmumper
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:26 am

I agree with Backlash. Although in fairness, I will say that I have never used a sit-in kayak before - I own a SOT, so I can speak to that. Truthfully, I do not know what advantage a sit-in may provide over the SOT...unless the goal is to stay inside your boat in the event you do turn over? That's just a guess though.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:46 pm

I have paddled both the sit in and the SOTs, I personally prefer the SOT. Especially if you are fishing, Like Tom said your gear is more access able, but it is also more likely to go over board . The longer the boat the faster it will be. I have a 13.5 SOT and my wife has a 11, she has to paddle twice as hard to keep up with me on a lazy paddle and when I start to paddle harder she gets left behind. Your best bet is to go to the the shops that will let you try a yak before you buy it, some take their samples to a lake and have a try it day.

I know Get Out Doors does this and so does Great Outdoor Trading co. You can also go to Hook Line and Paddle in Wilmington , they will let you try them out .
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing Empty SIT-SOT

Post  allenmumper Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:55 pm

Thanks guys. The comments are very helpful. A SOT is an open platform for gear, ease of movement, fishing utility. A friend observed that one thing he likes about his SIT is that in winter it's easier to stay warmer and dry and for winter or cold fall and spring cusp fishing that has merit. It's clear SOTs are the chosen yak for fishermen. I appreciate your responses.

Allen

allenmumper
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:12 pm

a nice set of neoprene wader would solve any issues with winter and a SOT
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:47 pm

Neoprene wader's have been on my kayak fishing wishlist for some time now. Seems to me that they're a must have for cooler weather yak fishin'
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:09 am

As I have fished both sit in and sit on top kayaks, I have some similar input from the other guys. First kayak I started in was not even designed for fishing. Was an Old town small job that was almost impossible to fish out of but I just wanted to get on the water.

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing P5080006

As you can probably see this kayak was far too small. At 6'0 and 180lbs I did not fit whatsoever. Not going to talk much on this kayak as it really wasn't meant for fishing.

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing 21junefish

This kayak is designed for fishing as a sit in. It had two pole holders right behind me and had an unusually large sit in hole to accommodate additional gear. It also had a shelf on the front top lip with place to hold baits. Bottom line is that overall this kayak wasn't that great. Being that it had a wide bottom to give it more stability and room, it caused a great deal of resistance in the water leading to slower paddling speeds. Even with the width for stability I found myself on 2 distinct circumstances dumped over upside down and all my gear sinking into the abyss. The reason for this:

As you sit in the kayak your weight and center of gravity is lower in the boat. Common sense. But where it would get me was when I would have the paddle under my arms so I could simultaneously steer in higher winds while holding the pole with my hands. In a stiff wind from behind I would dig the paddle to the right or left to compensate. Well in doing so the kayak would swing perpendicular to the wind, I would inadvertently lean into the wind (dug in paddle) and with my entire body restricted to within the kayak, I could not counter-balance and ultimately rolled inward. Not fun and lost myself 2 phones.

Also when it came to the sit in and having long legs nothing bothered me more then having my lunch, tackle box and whatever else in the boat with me moving around between my legs. Not much room and never mind if items decided to slide to the front of the boat.

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing P8050001

I am being pretty hard on the sit in kayaks but it is not without experience that I learned the better side of it all. This is my current sit on top kayak. It does not really get better then this and is sometimes referred to as a "yacht." Truth is I fish EVERYWHERE and I did not want to be bound by anything. I have launched into the smallest of ponds in Fayetteville NC, to off the coast of Kitty Hawk, NC in 2-3 ft seas. This thing also cruises without much effort and is hands free.

Negatives include: WEIGHT (88lbs unloaded)

In my opinion there is a reasonable middle ground. I really think the Hobie Outback is a really good moderate sized fishing machine. If you think you really will get serious about fishing out of a kayak then I suggest you take a look into both Hobie and Native kayaks. Hobie is my choice based on the drive system, reputation and I just like it.

I have more room then I know what to do with. I have stood up on the very edge of the rail of this kayak and could not flip it. I can stand up and cast and the thing barely moves. I can put any myriad of accessories from live wells to sails on it. I have even placed a friend on the back and fished with great success.

If you have any more questions ask away. Here are some more pictures.

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing P8050002

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing P9150053

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing P9150058

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing P9200020

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing P9200015
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing Empty Really Good Advice

Post  allenmumper Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:20 pm

Joe,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write all you did and add the pictures. As I read I could see that you were saving me going through the same progression - and I think I would have. About 18 months ago I was convinced a SOT was what I needed. Native, Hobie and Heritage and the Emotion fishing version of the Temptation were what I zeroed in on. I didn't buy then. I've been in a period of attraction to sit ins for the dryness, taking some class I-II white water, more cover from the sun in summer, etc. Rolling, losing gear, having it fill and not turn over, etc really concerns me.

I have several friends that only kayak recreationally and they have SITs. They do a few rivers with mild class I-II whitewater and I didn't know if a 10' SOT would manage that. I know I'll get wet and they won't. I'd like to kayak with them.

The responses to my Forum question definitely brought me back to fishing = SOT.

Some SOTs seem to sit higher. I've rented a 12 Native at Paddle Creek for a day on the Neuse. I liked that I sat down in a bit, it had a modest side and was spacious. Because I'm 65 I think I'd compromise some tracking & speed for a lighter kayak I can put inside my Honda van, easily get on the roof and be able to carry to the water. Though we have a beach front house at Emerald Isle I wouldn't think of a 10' kayak for the ocean. There are a lot of small protected estuary waters and flats near shore on the sound side that I think I could probably fish on calm days. I know you do more adventurous salt water fishing, you have a longer heavier sea worthier kayak. The propelled Hobies are everything one could want and need. Native has one also.

A Native/Heritage dealer I found has one demo Redfish 10 at a very good price. Natives start at 11 feet I think. Hobie does have a 9-6 or 10 but I know little about that kayak. Maybe 10' is too much of a compromise.

I'm sorry for the delay in writing. It was very busy at my practice before the holiday break. We're at Emerald Isle now and I have been looking forward to writing you.

Again, thanks for sharing your learning steps, conclusions, advice and opinions. This is how II learn and make a better choice.

Allen

allenmumper
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:57 am

Glad to help Allen. What it seems like to me is that you need 2 kayaks! Ha.

No but really, I would definitely not take my sit on top into any fast moving water with even the slightest possibility of striking a rock. If I was to endure some rougher water I would want something to stay drier and was more maneuverable (sit in).

On the other hand you seem to need to decide whether you want maneuverability for faster water or just want a straight up kayak fishing platform. Faster water equals sit in, durable, and maneuverable. Serious fishing is more along the sit on top, room to put gear, mess with fish, stow poles, and STABILITY.

I think best piece of advice in this entire thread is try them out. As many as you can. Otherwise your progression will be like mine, having 3 kayaks in the span of 10 months. I suppose that fine just have one for every occasion!
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing Empty Two...ha

Post  allenmumper Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:35 am

Joe, you're absolutely right about the solution! I didn't realize your frustrating path to the Hobie all happened in just eight months. Two rolls with lost gear in eight months...no wonder you thought 'OK, this has got to stop...I'm getting a Hobie!!!' It was the right thing to do. You fish a lot and love it. My highest priorities are safety and fishing. Again, thanks for your advice.

Allen

allenmumper
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:55 pm

For whatever it's worth, I've taken my sit on top down the Cape Fear without incident (I have a 12.5' Perception Caster). Between Lillington and Erwin, there several areas of fast moving water, some of which I believe are Class II rapids or just short of. Several canoers I was with flipped over, while I merrily glided past them. It was a bumpy ride at points, but I never got dumped, though there were a couple close calls. It was a bit of a wet ride though, but it was the middle of June so I didn't mind the water Smile

I will say that at 12.5' long, my agility was horrible...it's difficult to make quick turns in fast water with only one paddler. The canoers didn't have that issue since that have two points to steer from (one for each paddler)
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Advice - Sit In Kayak for fishing Empty Good to know

Post  allenmumper Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:47 pm

Snagged,

This is good to know. The mild white water factor isn't more important to me than fishing and recreation with friends on a stable kayak. They don't seak out rapids for kayaking. Thanks...Allen

allenmumper
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down