Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Bass flies?

5 posters

Go down

Bass flies? Empty Bass flies?

Post  Snagged Thu May 19, 2011 5:50 pm

So I decided it's time for me to get some bass bugs to put on the end of my fly line. Off I went to Gander Mountain. Lo and behold, they have almost nothing now in the way of flies.

Which brings me to my question: Is there any place locally to get flies? The obvious answer is to tie my own but I'm still learning how to tie my shoes so I'm a long from tying flies. Embarassed
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Bass flies? Empty Re: Bass flies?

Post  joe.plotino Thu May 19, 2011 8:57 pm

There is not. I asked Tom this question the other day as well. I went on to Orvis.com and ordered a few. Selection is still not the greatest but I know I need to shop around some more online. Also Ed (deepblu) is quite good at tying his own and used a couple this morning that looked great. He made a worm looking one that I am sure would work very well. Said he got a good hit on it and ended up destroying the fly.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Thu May 19, 2011 9:25 pm

Check this place out. Just looked it up. Even for some cool ideas of flies to tie. Or buy.....

http://www.riverbum.com/Bass-Flies/
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Davis Fri May 20, 2011 4:38 pm

Joe- The link you provided looks like a good source for both purchase AND for using the photos as guides to tie our own. TNX.

For Snagged, who said: "...still learning how to tie my shoes so I'm a long from tying flies...." -- You might try:
. 1. Berkenstocks -[Don't bother to ask how I know.]-, and;
. 2. "Tie Fly'ing" classes @ the Pechmann Center:
...... A. 1300~1500hrs, on the 2nd Wednesdays of every month -- at the Wounded Warrior Fly Fishin' Clinics ["non-Wounded" folks are also welcome], and;
...... B. Other Fly Tie/Fly Fish clinics, including:
Beginning Fly Tying Course, June 6th-8th
This beginning Fly Tying Course is designed to provide the student with a basic knowledge of Fly Tying tools, materials, patterns, and tying techniques. The course is taught in a progression that allows the students to build on their skills and steadily advance toward more complex flies. In this course students will complete 6 fly patterns over 10 hours of instruction. The course is broken down into three consecutive evening sessions. The class dates are June 6th through June 8th, 2011. Class times are 6:30pm until 9:00pm. Call 868-5003 Ext. 15 to register.

In order to assure that each student receives proper instruction this course is limited to 20 participants. All tools and materials are provided. The Course is free of charge.

Military Fly Fishing Clinics, June 8th
The second Wednesday on each month, The Pechmann Center invites all active duty military members and their families to visit the facility for an afternoon of fishing from 1PM until 5PM. Volunteers are on hand to offer instruction in Fly Tying, and casting for more information call 868-5003.

Warm Water Fly Fishing Clinic, June 11th
Fly-fishing takes a certain amount of skill and practice. Anglers interested in learning the basics of this distinct fishing technique are encouraged to sign up for a warm-water fly-fishing clinic sponsored by the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission and the Fayetteville-Cumberland Parks and Recreation Department.

The 6-hour clinic will be held at the John E. Pechmann Fishing Education Center off Lake Rim Road on June 11th from 9 a.m. until 3 p.m. for participants 12 years of age and older.

The instructors, all avid fly-fishing anglers from the community will discuss and demonstrate proper fly-fishing techniques, including casting, rigging, fly tying and rod assembly. After the instruction course, participants will cast in three ponds for sunfish, Largemouth Bass and Hybrid Striped Bass.

The Commission will provide rods, reels and flies. Participants may also use their own equipment. However, please bring a hat and safety glasses (Prescription glasses and sunglasses are acceptable).

Pre-registration is available, and space is limited to the first 40 people. To pre-register or for more information, contact Lake Rim Park, (910) 424-6134.
Mike Davis
Mike Davis
New Angler

http://www.VET-NET.org

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Sat May 21, 2011 10:55 pm

07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Wed May 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Hey snagg. At the next meeting I'll try to remember to bring some foam ones I tie for ya. What size rod are you throwing?
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Thu May 26, 2011 10:51 pm

I'm flinging a 5/6 wt around. Someone has tipped me off about finding flies on ebay so I'm going to check that out too.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:36 pm

For some reason - I'm not sure why - my search for some bass flies was revitalized today and I stumbled upon this "store" in ebay. This guy has alot of flies, but the one I found particularly intriguing was the one labeled "Bass Crawler."

http://stores.ebay.com/Jim-Greens-Custom-flies/_i.html?_fsub=165062419
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Bass flies? Empty Searchin' for Bass Flies

Post  Mike Davis Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Yo Snagged-

Your "reinvigorated" search for Bass Flies sparked my interest...here's something I stumbled into and found quite interesting...you might consider the "Stealth Bomber" for lurling those Largemouths out of their cover and onto your hook...I'll try.

This link will prepare you to make some at a Pechmann Center Fly Tie class and, till you can attend one of them, it also provides sources where you can order them professionally tied. See: http://www.flyfishga.com/stealth.htm

I'm gonna' try makin' a few of them, my-own-self.....

Mike
Mike Davis
Mike Davis
New Angler

http://www.VET-NET.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down