Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

How to adjust a baitcaster?

5 posters

Go down

How to adjust a baitcaster? Empty How to adjust a baitcaster?

Post  Gremlin Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:40 pm

I got a new Abu Garcia Black Max baitcasting outfit for Christmas, and I've been trying to get the hang of it, but I think maybe that I just don't have it adjusted just right. I'm not doing bad, but think there's more that I should be doing to reduce overrun. Any advise?
Gremlin
Gremlin
New Angler

Back to top Go down

How to adjust a baitcaster? Empty Re: How to adjust a baitcaster?

Post  Coach Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:49 am

The only thing I know about a baitcaster is how to get a bird's nest and then get it loose. I hope someone chimes in to help you out.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:46 am

As I looked at Abu's website this is a magnetic braking system, so the first thing that you will need to do is set the magnetic brake on the left side of the reel to zero. Second, with the bait that you are going to fish, tighen the spool tension knob, then hold the rod up ar roughly a 45 degree angle, push the release bar, and loosen the spool tension know slowly until the lure slowly falls. You can then adjust the magnetic brake, to help reduce the chance of over run. As you improve in casting you will want to experiment with more loose setting to gain casting distance.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  shobbs Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:02 pm

Just to add a couple of things to Tom's post.
First, I recommend a first time user of baitcasters is to put 17lb or so test line on the reel. It is more forgiving than a smaller line like 12 lb test. As you progress in using the reel you can step down to smaller sizes.
Second, when you get a birds nest stop. Crank down on the drag and tighten it up some more. Then take your non reeling thumb and put it on the line, then crank the reel. What happens is the thumb pushes the line back in the direction of normal lay on the reel. After a few turns, pull the line out some. When you hit a snag, repeat the thumb procedure. After a couple of times of this it will normally come right out.
The option to this is to pull the line and just pic the birdnest out. Just remember that any kink in the line, V shaped, will be the weak link in the line and next cast it will most likely break and send the lure to the depths if on the water..Suspect
Us that have been around for awhile don't get birdsnest. Now days we get "Professional Over-runs"Laughing

Good luck
shobbs
shobbs
Deckhand

http://www.fishheroes.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Gremlin Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:30 pm

This is great information. Thank you all!!Very Happy
Gremlin
Gremlin
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  BenB Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 am

A trick that I used when I was first learning to use a baitcaster was, once I got a good cast I stripped off another 10 feet or so of line and placed a piece of tape over the spool. This will prevent any backlash that you get from going deep into the spool. Once you get to where you're casting to the tape, and you will, strip another 10 feet or so of line and replace the tape. Then, once you feel confident in casting without backlashes, simply remove the tape. This does NOT prevent backlashes! It is meant to keep you spending more time fishing than picking out backlashes while learning to use a baitcasting reel on the water.
BenB
BenB
Deckhand

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Bryant-Amateur-Bass-Angler/357

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum