Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Catfishing the cape fear

+2
Backlash
Hoppdevil
6 posters

Go down

Catfishing the cape fear Empty Catfishing the cape fear

Post  Hoppdevil Tue May 22, 2012 12:28 am

I just bought a 20 ft seahunt, center console with a 115 Johnson. I plan on striper fishing at Jordan, some inland shore fishing and would like to start catfishing the cape fear. I'm a little unsure of what ramps to use, what the river levels should be and if it's even a good idea to take my boat in. The only fishing ive really done on the cape fear is from the bank and some pleasure boat riding. If anyone has experience or advice on best ramps etc please let me know. Thanks in advance. I'll take anyone out or ride along to learn.
Hoppdevil
Hoppdevil
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Catfishing the cape fear Empty Re: Catfishing the cape fear

Post  Backlash Tue May 22, 2012 7:43 am

Congrats on your boat. I have always been a little leary of the ramp at Person Street. The ramp at lock 3 has been redone and is really good shape. There plenty of water to launch and it is situated so that it is a bit protected from the current. If you are a new boat owner, I would suggest that you take the boating safety course. I took the course and discovered that they covered a lot of things that I learned through some costly personal experience.

Post some pics up, we would love to see your fishing platform.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  southboundpunk Tue May 22, 2012 11:50 am

I've seen some nice sized boats put in at Elizabeth town. Not sure what the dam number is.
southboundpunk
southboundpunk
Deckhand

http://avrgjoesurvivalguide.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  crappieassassin Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 pm

hasnt been any striper caught in Jordan since the fish kill last summer so ive heard had alot of friends trying for them and not even any small ones, and the big striper guieds havnt been out either so that might tell u something
crappieassassin
crappieassassin
Deckhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Phantasm Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:03 pm

There is a dockless launch just 1/2 mile South of Arnette park on the Cape Fear. I launch there any time I take the kids tubing or jsut to cruise around. No dock, and the approach down the gravel road has a curve in it, so it helps to be a decent trailer driver in reverse. It's free though and few people use it. River runs about 5-8' down the center consistently. Watch the confluences with tributaries they get shallow especially near the botanical gardens. THere is a nice deep hole under a bridge to the north, I think the railroad one. about 15' deep. I would think it would be a good catfish spot, but haven't hit it very hard to find out.

Phantasm
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:37 pm

thanks for the info!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down