Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Time for a new fly rod

5 posters

Go down

Time for a new fly rod Empty Time for a new fly rod

Post  Snagged Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:55 pm

So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new fly rod.  I currently have a hand-me-down 5/6 wt rod that has treated me pretty well on the Bragg lakes.  I'm thinking off getting a 6 wt with the same idea as before - targetting the pan fish and bass on Bragg.  I have yet to encounter any large bass on Bragg, so I'm thinking the 6 wt should be fine, while still being fun on the bluegills when I can't find the bass (which is almost always the case).

Should I go with a 6 wt or go up to something a bit bigger?   What sort of line?
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Time for a new fly rod Empty Re: Time for a new fly rod

Post  Coach Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 am

I hardly ever pull the 8 wt out unless I'm throwing some big bass bugs. Other then that I only use the 6 wt.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  clarkjc000 Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:41 pm

When I fly fish Bragg I use a 2 weight for smaller top waters and a 4 weight for the ones a bit larger. I have however lost some nice bass on my 2 weight

clarkjc000
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:29 pm

I've thought of throwing a 4 before.....but a 2? Wow. I'm not that brave. Lol
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Snagged wrote:So I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new fly rod.  I currently have a hand-me-down 5/6 wt rod that has treated me pretty well on the Bragg lakes.  I'm thinking off getting a 6 wt with the same idea as before - targetting the pan fish and bass on Bragg.  I have yet to encounter any large bass on Bragg, so I'm thinking the 6 wt should be fine, while still being fun on the bluegills when I can't find the bass (which is almost always the case).

Should I go with a 6 wt or go up to something a bit bigger?   What sort of line?
Snagged I think a 6 wt would be a great choice for you! It has a really good backbone to handle even some nice size bass! I love my 6wt rod and I have caught some nice bream, bass and catfish on it! As for the line I would go with a floating line! there are a lot of big brand out there and I know everyone may have a different choice on what brand to use. I would ask tom if he still has any line for sell! the line he sell works really good and for the price you cant go wrong! Please let me know if you need any help! And as for what brand rod to buy I am a very big fan of TFO and Albright rods! they are priced really good and I think you would be very happy with them!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:27 pm

I'm leaning towards a TFO rod, and might make a ride up to Bass Pro this weekend if I don't have to go out of town.  If I get a 6wt, I can probably use the fly line I have right now.  Scientific Angler Panfish I believe.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:51 pm

TFO makes a great product for sure! Here is a really nice setup they have for a great price! it comes with everything!

TFO Signature II Rod and Hobbs Creek® Reel Fly Outfits
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:51 am

Chris TFO are really  good rods they sell them at Carolina Outdoors ( I think is the name ) It is right behind Blacks Tire on Raeford rd across from Tallywood . Not plugging the store but it is somewhere close you can put one in your hand and feel it

As for the weight .. the weight of the rod has to do with the size of the fish and what you are pulling the fish through like grass beds,so it need the back bone to do what you want it to in that aspect, But the weight refers that to the weight of the line which dictates size of the flies you can throw,ie if you are throwing a big bass bug or a fly that has alot of wind resistance like a big bait fish imitation you need a heavier weight line to turn it over, If you are throwing little pan fish flies then you don't need the heavier weight line, but the heavy line will throw the smaller flies well . So you can switch to lighter flies when you want to use them.
  All that being said I use a 5 or 6 wt rod most of the time fishing around here. But I will pull out the 8 wt on occasion if I am fishing lily pads or heavy weeds, or throwing big bass flies, But mostly just to have the backbone to get the fish through the weeds or what have you.

I would go over to the shop behind Blacks tire and try the TFO's and see how they feel to you.

Hope that helps some. Smile

Last edited by Deepblu505 on Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : left some things out)
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  clarkjc000 Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:11 pm

I will second the TFO's good rod at a great price also the 7 weight is a good all around rod I grew up with a 7 weight in my hand fishing out west it can throw heavier stuff like weighted Minos and still drop a dry fly nice and soft.

clarkjc000
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down