Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Kiest Lake

4 posters

Go down

Kiest Lake Empty Kiest Lake

Post  Luni Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:15 pm

Grabbed the yak and ran out to Kiest Lake after work today to find a creative way to avoid rush hour traffic.  It's definitely healthy.  Saw a couple fish jump clear out of the water and plenty of fish striking at the surface right around the lily pads.  Lots of turtles and 1 beaver.  Best part, I was the only boat on the water and the guys shore fishing were only putting catfish lines out.  I had the entire pond to myself.

That being said I think this confirms that I'm one of the worst topwater fisherman in the Fort Bragg area.  With active fish feeding at the surface I went through my frog, popper, buzzbait, and shallow crankbait and couldn't get a fish to strike.  Finally just went to my weightless trick worm and put 2 in the boat.  First fish was smaller and gut hooked with a gamakatsu which killed a fish on my last trip and might have killed this one too.  The straight end of the hook doesn't rotate out and I have to pull it out of the gills of most fish when they swallow it.  Really does a number on the smaller fish.  After getting that fish off I pinched the barb off the hook and a couple casts later hooked up with the second fish which was a solid 15".  Much easier to get the hook out barbless.  Put him back with no issues.

I only covered half of the eastern shoreline but it's definitely worth a return trip.  Seems to be doing very well for an intensely managed lake right outside the back gate and easier to get to than Holland.

And pictures
Kiest Lake IMAG0308_zps8fd98ec2
Kiest Lake IMAG0309_zpsc66e2ae6
Luni
Luni
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Kiest Lake Empty Re: Kiest Lake

Post  Snagged Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:01 am

Very nice.  My last few trips out to Keist, both on the weekends and after work, I've been the only boat (kayak) on the water.  And like you, everything I've ever caught has been on a plastic worm.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:31 pm

Never fished Kiest. I need to try it sometime.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:13 pm

Congrats! Nice looking bucketmouths!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down