Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Tell of two opposite worlds!

5 posters

Go down

Tell of two opposite worlds! Empty Tell of two opposite worlds!

Post  snakemau Fri May 18, 2012 6:57 pm

Well since my username is going on the welcome banner for new members, I suppose the right thing to do is to introduce my self!
Well my family and I just moved to NC from AR last December. I'm in the army and FT Bragg is my first assignment. I have done lots of saltwater fishing... in Costa Rica...and yes it is beautiful down there! Mostly inshore and from the shore for snappers, Mahi Mahi, bonito, snook, jacks, grouper, and even tarpon (but never hooked one, they were too busy swimming by our boat regardless the lure or flies, but they surely were big!). Anyway did some fly fishing there as well, I was even tying my own deceivers, eels, poppers and cloussers and others. Moved to the US and decided to try trout fishing...boy was I exited about it, got a new outfit and I was hooked...till I went to Montauk state park in MO....9hr in the water (straight 9 hrs, had a sandwich inside my waders and a bottle of water) and not a single bite...used same patterns as the guys next to me...so as you can imagine I was so frustrated that I got home, cleaned all my gear and 2 lucky fellows on eBay got amazing deals on fresh and saltwater fly fishing outfits!!!! Books, tying materials, ALL I had was gone.... and I went back to my trusty spinning gear...man was I a fool... I still regret that (it has been 8yrs), so now the bug of fly fishing is coming back to me, I still don't know anything about trout fishing and have no fly fishing gear, but I still have my Penn SS6500 that will see some action at the beautiful coasts of NC and will hit some lakes and rivers for bass and whatnot. Will try to get on the fly fishing again, i really love it, the scenery, calmness and peace that you get when only you hear the rolling of the water and the sudden splash of a trout mistaken your flies for a meal (well at least that's what the Outdoor Channel and Orvis shows show me...cause I have yet to feel it!!!). So for now we will just do some bass and crappie and anything else meanwhile I get rdy again for trout. My kids are excited about the new fishing grounds and they keep asking: are we fishing a big one daddy?

snakemau
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Tell of two opposite worlds! Empty Re: Tell of two opposite worlds!

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Fri May 18, 2012 10:03 pm

welcome to the fishing hole!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down

Post  southboundpunk Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 pm

Welcome to the site and Bragg. On stationed here as well. The lake off butner near wlc OS for kids and wtb soldiers only and I have seen some nice starter fish out of there and if the bite is no good the park is right there. Rhodes pond is about 30min away and has a couple of docks and plenty of shore line for the family. I have a spare yak and a kick boat as well if you want to get some alone time fishing just hit me up I go out at least one day of the weekend sometimes more.
southboundpunk
southboundpunk
Deckhand

http://avrgjoesurvivalguide.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fishgent Sun May 20, 2012 9:43 am

welcome. I think you will enjoy NC and all it has to offer. Check out the calendar on the home page that list all the events that either FAAN or the Pechmann Center offer. Many are great fun for the kids.
fishgent
fishgent
Deckhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Sun May 20, 2012 9:47 am

Welcome aboard snakemau, glad to have you with us . Hope to meet you soon and maybe fishing some time. I am retired out of Bragg and stayed in town. I think you will like it in NC . So much to do for the fisherman.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum