Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Drum Rig for Hay Stacks

3 posters

Go down

Drum Rig for Hay Stacks Empty Drum Rig for Hay Stacks

Post  AlohaDog Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:53 am

Bobby P.,
I fixed up the drum rig with a 40lb test leader. Should I add any weight to it?

Thanks,

Eric
AlohaDog
AlohaDog
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Drum Rig for Hay Stacks Empty Re: Drum Rig for Hay Stacks

Post  AlohaDog Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:50 pm

Question 2:

How do I keep the Pinfish from eating my bait?
AlohaDog
AlohaDog
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Question 1: Yes. Normally fish a fish-finder rig with a short leader. Like very short. I am used to fishing the rig with a 3-6 ft leader for cobia, sharks or bass. Using the weight slide attach a weight that is appropriate for bottom conditions and current. Typically pyramid sinker for sandy bottoms, or round sinker for oyster beds.

Question 2: Pin fish and crabs are my arch nemesis as well. I had read that people also will place a small floating device on the leader to keep bait off of the bottom. Google "fireball" rig and you will see it. To me though even with the bait inches from the bottom it is fair game for crabs and fish. I do not have a lot of experience catching just most from research and attempting to catch these fish. Caught one last year using simple bottom rig casting chunk croaker. Mostly got crabs until a nice red finally picked up the bait instead.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Drum Rig for Hay Stacks Empty Drum Rig for Haystacks

Post  bparker Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:17 am

Sorry to take so long to reply. You may have already done the trip!

The Haystacks has lots of skinny water and oyster bars. Use round (egg) sinkers around structure; no corners to hang up.
A carolina rig with a 1/2 to 1 ounce egg sinker and a 5/0 circle hook on an 18-20 inch leader is what I use. #20 mono for the leader is OK, but you can go heavier.

The most important thing while fishing an oyster bar is to cast and let your bait alone. Pull the slack out of your line, but don't drag your rig or you'll get hung up! To check your bait, lift the rod tip hard and reel fast all the way in. If a red picks it up the hook will be in his mouth.

Pin fish give you something to do, and on the bright side, can bring attention to your bait by the bigger fish; use big chunks. A whole menhaden or finger mullet hooked thru the mouth with the tail cut off work good.

Looking at this Thurs for a day trip to Ft Fisher for surf fishing; want to go?

bparker
Deckhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down