Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities

+3
COWBOY PADDLER
Snagged
Backlash
7 posters

Go down

Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities Empty Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities

Post  Backlash Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:24 pm

It's time to start looking at some new programs and activities for the FAAN and we need your thoughts, ideas, and opinions on new programs and actvities or just reviving some older ones. Please, let us know your ideas for an activity that you think that we could enjoy as a group. This could include trips, guest speakers, program topics, or programs that you are willing to lead yourself.

Last edited by FAANangler on Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities Empty Re: Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities

Post  Backlash Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:38 pm

In response to the request for some thoughts and ideas for programs, these ideas were shared with me. I thought that I would add them here to get your thoughts on these proposals and possibly start the ball rolling on some others. Please take a look and let us know if these sound like programs that you would like to participate in.

Reel Maintenance - We have not done a reel maintenance class in a long time. This could be a good winter activity.

Boating Safety - I wonder if we could get a group together for a boat safety class, or all sign up to attend a class together.

Now for the crazy thought – a fish-a-thon. Charge a small fee to enter with 50% of the entry fees going to winners. The other 50% stays with the club. We will have to pick the location, but people can fishing from boats, kayaks, shore, wading, etc… Everyone is required to catch at least one fish per hour. If you fail, you are out. You catch a fish, take picture with clock and issued decal, and submit by phone to the judges. Last person standing wins. I will feel bad for the person on a boat who is out but their fishing partner is still in contention.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities Empty Re: Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities

Post  Snagged Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 pm

I like the Reel Maintenance idea. My reels are in dire need of TLC, and I don't remember much from the class so I've been hesitant to tear em apart. I also like the Boating Safety class idea as well.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:46 am

The idea to build a fly rod has also been submitted. This can be done, if we will be purchase our own rod kits. The kits for a 2pc 9ft 5wt are running in the neighborhood of $90 -$120 from Mudhole.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  COWBOY PADDLER Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:38 pm

FAANangler wrote:The idea to build a fly rod has also been submitted. This can be done, if we will be purchase our own rod kits. The kits for a 2pc 9ft 5wt are running in the neighborhood of $90 -$120 from Mudhole.
I would be interested in this class!!

COWBOY PADDLER
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  john p smith Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:14 pm

I was looking at the push pole post and went on you tube and and saw a few home made wheel carrier units for kayaks that was made from PVC and the foam noodle stuff . I was wondering if maybe you could come up with a design and have a workshop on it. Just a suggestion being that we have many yakers in the group. Also it would be cheaper on the material and less waste.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXRzSUCsmrw&feature=player_detailpage
john p smith
john p smith
New Angler

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1209322284361&set=vb.15

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:40 pm

Thanks John! We appreciate the suggestion.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

Back to top Go down

Ideas for new FAAN Program or Activities Empty Ideas for new FAAN program or activities

Post  bparker Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 pm

A boater's safety class is a good idea, and can be used as a refresher for the boat owners, and an introduction for passengers/fishing partners. An official course must be approved and proctored by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and is recognized by the US Coast Guard. The NCWRC sponsored this course at the Pechmann Center three years ago, and it was three hours a night for three nights, concluding with a written test for certification.

In view of the volume and depth of the material the official course covers, I would suggest a refresher that covers key points for the boat owners/operators, safety issues every passenger should know, and discussion of topics that are most times avoided or left unsaid; eg., "How many coolers can I bring?"; "Will there be a bathroom break?"; "Is two dollars enough for gas?".

I realize this class is targeted for a boat with two or more people, and not wanting to exclude the yakkers, I am sure there is something positive to be gained by them as well. And in all fairness, discussion time should be given to them as solo captains of their own vessels. I know we have first hand testimony on how to save yourself, car keys, and fishing rods from some of our yak enthusiasts!

bparker
Deckhand

Back to top Go down

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:04 pm

A reel maintenance class and boater safely course would be great!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:47 am

+1 On the reel maintenance. I am pretty sure my BassPro Qualifier bait caster is impossible to get into and may be interested in letting anyone assist in disassembling the thing to figure out whats inside.

Another idea could be workshop or how to on "Do it yourself" kayak outfitting or fishing in general. I am thinking like milk crate pole holders, easy to construct kayak camera mounts, kayak carts, lure holders, home made live wells and whatever else you can come up with. I know I would love to make my own milk crate storage / pole holder.

Just a thought. I am almost back so I will be looking for fishing partners soon........ What a Face
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:58 am

Great suggestions, Joe. Thank you!
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  joe.plotino Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:42 pm

Was thinking another meeting idea can be all the kayak anglers bring yaks and we can do a swap/ride/demo day. Not many big vendors around to do this for us. Also be nice to see other yaks setup. Be willing to bring 2 yaks for anyone to take for a drive around Lake Rim.
joe.plotino
joe.plotino
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down