Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Smith River 4-14-14

2 posters

Go down

Smith River 4-14-14 Empty Smith River 4-14-14

Post  al k Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:57 pm

Deer hunting is my passion so it has been awhile since I did any serious fishing. With urban archery season behind us I have no excuse - well maybe a little excuse because I'm now scouting for next season and moving stands.  Deer hunting for me never really ends. Anyway the generation schedule did not kick in until late afternoon this past Monday so I hit a section of the Smith River.

Smith River 4-14-14 IMGP0266_zps3d8e3bbb
Maybe some of you guys with photographic memories and eagle eyes can figure out this secret spot.

Smith River 4-14-14 IMGP0265_zps26c36ebd
It took about five hits before I was able to close the deal with this small Smith River Brown. I was fishing a soft hackle dropped off my traditional Allieworm. This particular section had a lot of ditty-mo which made me shorten the distance from the indicator to avoid globs of ditty-mo AKA "rock snot".

Smith River 4-14-14 IMGP0268_zps2612c110
Before too long I got into a pod of stocked Rainbows. Kudos to DGIF for stocking some nice size fish.

Smith River 4-14-14 IMGP0269_zpsf048a61f
 I now look at Rainbows on the Smith as competition for the limited food source so creeled a limit of six for the skillet. You eagle eyed folks will note the soft hackle is holding it's own.

Smith River 4-14-14 IMGP0273_zpsf8a38dbd
I finally caught a decent brown which would have been protected under the 10-24 inch slot limit.

Smith River 4-14-14 IMGP0278_zps572d1197
I was about to dump my entire fly box of Alliworms in the river when this small Brown fell for the old standby. This was followed by several more of about the same size. Probably a good thing because I have so many Allieworms if I'd chucked them all in the stream I could have been cited for creating a hazardous waste dump.

Well there ya have it. I now have something to do while waiting for deer season to roll around again. Hmmmmm, now let's see - I still need to move the deer stand down near the old stump about 15 feet to the left.

al k
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Smith River 4-14-14 Empty Re: Smith River 4-14-14

Post  07_hemi_thunderroad Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:59 pm

thanks for sharing the great report AL! I need to head up to the Smith really soon!
07_hemi_thunderroad
07_hemi_thunderroad
Guide

https://www.facebook.com/robert.harber

Back to top Go down