Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

NC Wildlife patrolling Lake Rim?

5 posters

Go down

NC Wildlife patrolling Lake Rim? Empty NC Wildlife patrolling Lake Rim?

Post  Snagged Sun May 12, 2013 11:25 pm

This past Sunday, I took the kayak out for the first trip of the season. The wind was pretty rough and I didn't have any luck. But I did have an interesting encounter.

After I was done fishing, I beached the kayak and the wife met me out there for a picnic of sorts with the dog. While we were there on the shoreline, we noticed a Wildlife officer making the rounds. At one point, as I was getting ready to take my kayak out and leave, he yelled over from where he was writing someone else a ticket and told me not to go anywhere. He came over, checked my driver's and fishing licenses, then proceeded to check my kayak for PFD and safety gear. I didn't mind, in fact I thought it was great to see someone out there making sure folks were doing the right thing.

He certainly met his quota for the day - I lost count of all the citations he issued. And in talking with the folks afterwards, I learned a few things. Most all of his citations were either for folks letting their dogs swim in the water. Or fishing from the pier. So I walked over to the NC Wildlife sign, and I didn't see any mention of the dog bit. But I did read that fishing from the piers and docks is not allowed.

Anyone else ever heard of dogs not being allowed to swim in the lake? It kind of makes sense, but I'd never actually heard of it. And what about fishing from the piers? What else are they supposed to be used for?

Thoughts?
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

NC Wildlife patrolling Lake Rim? Empty Re: NC Wildlife patrolling Lake Rim?

Post  Coach Sun May 12, 2013 11:59 pm

Wow. Never realized you couldn't fish from the piers. Makes no sense really. Maybe I need to read the sign at Rhodes again.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Deepblu505 Mon May 13, 2013 8:43 am

Was it fishing from the boat ramp pier? Because the other two piers are designated fishing piers.
As far as the dogs thats a new one on me, but there are signs that say the area is for fishing only.
Deepblu505
Deepblu505
Guide

http://aparrotlooksat51.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

NC Wildlife patrolling Lake Rim? Empty NC Wildlife patrolling Lake Rim?

Post  SEA DANCER Mon May 13, 2013 9:38 am

Could it be that the dogs were not on a leash?

SEA DANCER
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Mon May 13, 2013 7:21 pm

The dogs were leashed (mine included). The officer told me and numerous others not to let the dog in the water, that the lake was for fishing and boating only. Those that were in the water were issued a citation. One couple was kayaking in a tandem kayak with their dog, and the dog kept jumping out of the kayak into the water. They were ticketed. And that dog was leashed too even.

I'm mostly just curious as to the logic of not allowing the dogs to swim, aside from the obvious leash requirement.
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Sat May 25, 2013 10:07 am

The area is posted a fishing access area dedicated for fishing and boating. There are two signs stating that all other activities are prohibited. The boat ramp dock is to allow for the safe loading an unloading of boats.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down