Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

Outfits for a beginning Bass fisherman?

3 posters

Go down

Outfits for a beginning Bass fisherman? Empty Outfits for a beginning Bass fisherman?

Post  Gremlin Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:52 pm

I have looking through catalogs and searching the web looking at all the different types of rods and reels for bass fishing and I must say that I am a overloaded with all the choices. However, I can't afford all of these different rods, so can anyone advise me on a couple or three combinations that might work with most lures?
Gremlin
Gremlin
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Outfits for a beginning Bass fisherman? Empty Re: Outfits for a beginning Bass fisherman?

Post  BenB Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:21 pm

IMO: You can't go wrong with Abu Garcia's Max Series (Black Max, Silver Max, and Pro Max). For the price these reels just can't be beat. I have all three of the above mentioned reels.
The Pro Max, I have paired with a 6' Berkley Amp Medium action rod. I primarily use this setup for light/shallow cranking.
The Silver Max I have paired with a 6'6" Berkley Lightning Medium Heavy rod. I promarily use this setup for heavy/deep cranking, as well as, a jig/worm rod. My plan, however, is to get another Pro Max paired with a MH Berkley Lightning rod for heavy/deep cranking.
The Black Max, I have paired with a 6'6" Berkley Lightning Shock (Specially Formulated for Superlines) rod. I use this setup primarily for heavy cover applications such as; frogging, flipping, and punching heavy cover/thick grass.
These are all quality setups that cost less than $200 each. Personally, I don't see being able to get better baitcasting combos for that. I firmly believe that Abu Garcia and Berkley are the best overall for the price.
BenB
BenB
Deckhand

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ben-Bryant-Amateur-Bass-Angler/357

Back to top Go down

Outfits for a beginning Bass fisherman? Empty Re: Outfits for a beginning Bass fisherman?

Post  shobbs Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:22 am

These are some good reels in the Max series, Black ($49.95), Silver ($59.95) and Pro Max ($79.95) approximately. The Black and Silver have a 6.4:1 gear ratio and the Pro has a 7.1:1 for buzzbaits and rattletrap type baits.

All 3 great reels at an affordable price. Then match up to a rod that you plan on using for each reel. You can usually find all 3 of these in a combo package from ABU.
Lots of great options out there. You can spend a lot of money quick on a quality baitcaster. If you are new to the baitcasters then a good start is with one of these reels. Then step up to the Revo's.Laughing
shobbs
shobbs
Deckhand

http://www.fishheroes.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down