Fayetteville Anglers' Network Forum

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Top posting users this month
No user

AnglingNC Twitter Feed

bomshell turtles

4 posters

Go down

bomshell turtles Empty bomshell turtles

Post  thekingfeeder Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Anyone tried the bombshell turtles yet? I know the Bass in my pond have accepted them with open mouths.

Robert

thekingfeeder
New Angler

Back to top Go down

bomshell turtles Empty Re: bomshell turtles

Post  Backlash Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:28 am

Never heard of them. Do you have a link?
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  thekingfeeder Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:22 am

Site is preventing me from posting a link. A quick google of bombshell turtle should turn it up. A.K.'s carries them. 6 bucks a pack. I think it was 5 something, but for all intensive purposes it ended up being around 6 bucks a pack.

I tease those I have talked to about them. My first cast with them ever, within 3 sec of it hittn the water, I was setting the hook on a small one. Now, this time of year, in my pond, put anything right in front of a small one and he will hit. Wasn't necessarily the bait. Since then, I have caught them on a regular basis with the bombshell.

I have been using a 7' casting rod rated to 3/4oz. Daiwa Tierra 153h with 10lb mono tied directly to a weighted 3/0 hook. This last time I tied on a Mustad Power Lock Plus. It has the spring to twist the bait onto. Other times, I have used a Gamakatsu without the lock spring. (Note about the line weight: my pond doesn't have much in the way of cover for the most part. That is why I am able to use only 10lb test. If I were to use this in an area with heavy cover, I would bump up the lb test.)

Once it hits the water, it has a nice controlled decent. Even the pack explains this is when you get most of your strikes. I will let it sit a minute, then give it 3 bumps (similar to Carolina rigging) then let it rest a minute and repeat. I have played with a steady retrieve, erratic, skimming the surface, and everything in between. The 3 bumps seem to work for me best.

There are other ways to rig the bait of course. The package also suggests pinning a texas rig. I tried that. With the weight on the nose, it kept doing a nose dive through the water. Not a bad thing, just not the presentation I was looking for. Using the weighted hook, it allows the bait to flutter slowly to the bottom.

Once I detect a bite, almost immediately, I will attempt to cross his eyes. I may hesitate for a moment, but not long. Every so often, I will hook him in the lips, most of the time it seems to be lodged back in his mouth. Just to ease removal, I will crimp down the barb. From what I can tell, there is no special hookset needed like with other baits. As a matter of fact, since you aren't dealing with a long worm, it doesn't take them near as long to get the business end of that hook into position.

I am obviously just sharing my personal experience. There may be a better way to fish this bait. That is the beauty of fishing. There is usually no wrong way of doing things, just less effective. Wink

thekingfeeder
New Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Good looking lure. May have to try one .
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Snagged Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:23 pm

I saw a quick note about these another forum earlier today. Might have to try some out if I can find some at a store that is open when I'm off work Rolling Eyes
Snagged
Snagged
Avid Angler

Back to top Go down

Post  Backlash Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:25 am

Here's the link to their website: http://castaliaoutdoors.com/bombshell-turtle-lure/ Interesting lure! Just as interesting they have a crab version of this lure.
Backlash
Backlash
Admin

http://fayettevilleanglers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Coach Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:38 pm

Watched a link of this bait on youtube. I don't care about the fish they catch as that is their job to sell you the bait. They won't show you them not catching fish. Looks like it has great action.
Coach
Coach
Guide

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum